Balancing power & efficiency at every speed
Our Two-Stage parallel turbo for diesel engines was an industry first when we released it in 2006. Since then, it’s increasingly in-demand among auto manufacturers seeking enhanced performance, fuel efficiency, and emissions control. Our Two-Stage parallel turbos for diesel engines are available for engines with as much as 2.0L of displacement.
Two-Stage Parallel Turbochargers for Diesel Engines
In our Two-Stage parallel system, two turbos work in sequence to improve engine performance. Our high-temperature, high-durability turbine control valve is designed to ensure rapid transition between the different modes of turbo operation.
From ignition to 2400 rpm:
- The primary turbo activates (vanes vary from fully closed to almost fully open)
- The turbine valve and the compressor discharge valve remain closed
- The compressor recirculation valve stays open
From 2400 rpm to 2800 rpm:
- The secondary turbo activates (vanes close slightly during transition, then open again)
- The turbine valve begins to open
- The compressor discharge valve opens
Beyond 2800 rpm:
- Both turbos are in full sequential mode (vanes are fully open)
- The turbine valve stays open
- The compressor discharge valve is open
Ultra-Efficient Clean Diesel Platforms Can Benefit Greatly from Garrett’s Downsized, High-Temperature VNT Boosting Technology
Garrett’s sixth generation variable geometry turbo architecture (VNT) is helping auto manufacturers harness the performance potential of higher temperature diesel powertrains.
Two-Stage Parallel Turbos for Diesel Engine and Connected Vehicle Solutions
Garrett’s Two-Stage parallel turbo for diesel engines helps engines improve their performance and efficiency. Our connected automobiles and integrated electronic boosting products continue this trend by offering intelligent solutions for today’s vehicles. These include cybersecurity protections, electric turbos, and electric compressors, advanced powertrain controls, OEM Diagnostic Prognostic Solutions, and more.