Maximize performance & increase turbo life
Garrett’s Two Stage serial turbo for diesel multiplies the benefits of turbocharging, improves transient performance, optimizes fuel efficiency and more.
Garrett’s Two Stage serial turbo for diesel compounds the benefits of turbocharging by using two turbos in a series arrangement. This helps improve transient performance, offers better low-speed torque and optimizes fuel efficiency in passenger and commercial vehicle applications. Auto manufacturers can use this technology to either downsize engines or increase performance. Our Two Stage serial turbo for diesel can be used with a variety of engine sizes, from small single-liter vehicles to massive 64L mining equipment. However, they are most commonly used in engines ranging in size from 1.6L to 3L.
Two Stage Serial Turbochargers for Diesel Engines
Using our Two Stage serial turbo for diesel applications, compressors operate at peak efficiency by dividing their workload between two turbos:
- Fresh air is drawn into the first-stage compressor
- The pressure is increased by 2 to 2.5 times
- This pressurized air is sent to the second-stage compressor
- The pressure is increased another 2 to 2.5 times
Lower pressure ratios at each stage result in lower rotating speeds. This improves the reliability of bearing systems, compressor wheels and turbine wheels. In addition, Two Stage serial turbos for diesel regulate gas flow between the turbos using bypass valves. These valves change modes according to speed, optimizing gas transfer between the small high-pressure turbo and the large low-pressure turbo:
- Below 1500 rpm: Both compressor and bypass valves remain closed, increasing boost pressure and torque.
- From 1500 rpm to 2800 rpm: Bypass valves begin to open to channel exhaust gas between turbos.
- Beyond 2800 rpm: Both compressor and bypass valves remain fully open, regulating gas flow only to larger turbo.
Two Stage Serial Turbo System for Diesel and Connected Vehicle Solutions
Our Two Stage serial turbos for diesel give automakers more options to improve their engines. Garrett also offers a holistic range of solutions through our connected vehicle and advanced electric boosting products. These include onboard-to-offboard cybersecurity protection, OEM Diagnostic Prognostic Solutions and intelligent powertrain controls.